Thursday, April 2, 2009

G20 meeting, Green Goddesses and the wild tomato.


Will the heads of state at the G20 meeting see their shadows? Will there be 6 (60, 600) months more of misery?

Returning the enduring bliss of the garden

If you ask a hungry (like clockwork) urchin where chickens come from, the answer is invariably - the refrigerator. It is a pretty good deduction and I must learn to accept the elegance of such thoughts. Some time ago, I had asked myself about tomatoes. Where did tomatoes come from? Perpetually under the urchin's spell, I've nonetheless only permitted myself sidelong consideration of the refrigerator. Europe, I thought. Some mediterranean enclave, no doubt. Perhaps Russia (I'd heard of black Russian tomatoes, the Czerno Prinz Tomat). I was surprised to learn that the answer was Peru, South America. I consequently located a source for a native, wild tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum ssp. ?) in Ecuador, Peru's northern neighbor. A small violet, stamp-strewn envelop arrived last week (Ecuadorian stamps seem so large). Perfect. To the potting shed.

Zantedeschia aethiopica "Green Goddess"(pictured above) is considered a zone 8 candidate, but it grows admirably in zone 11 (though it is deciduous in summer). It may be evergreen in cooler climates. Some people grow this plant completely submerged in water. I keep mine in a shady area with plenty of mulch (it does, however enjoy copious amounts of water). My seeds took 28 days to germinate with no special pre-treatment. Keep temperature at about 65°F during the day with cooler temperatures at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your words are only true if I deem them to be so.